Thursday, June 14, 2012

Big Boy Dresser

So, I totally love *Pottery Barn. I love the styles shown in the catalogs and have dreamed of having some of their designs in my own home...notice I said dreamed. Their furniture, bedding and accessories tend to be a little to steep for my budget. 

I didn't let that stop me, though. 

My youngest son, H, recently began using his crib as a jungle gym and the quest began for the perfect bedding and room accessories to convert his once baby room to a full fledged big boy room. The bedding was purchased. Accessories were acquired. But, there was a lack of interest and storage space in the room because of my inability to find a chest of drawers to redo. 

On a random stop into a local bargain mart, I came across the perfect piece! 




After spending some time talking him down $30, I brought the piece home to begin the transformation. 

I took all the drawers out and sanded each piece to rough up the existing stain a bit. This sand does not have to be one that takes off all layers. It honestly just has to be a little sand all over to give yourself something for the paint to stick to. 



Next, I coated each piece with a red paint I had lying around (called Chipotle paste)




Then, after allowing the paint to dry, I again took some sand paper to the piece to give character where I deemed character needed to be. This part is strictly to your liking and taste. 



 Finally, after distressing it a bit in places, I rubbed (then quickly wiped off) an ebony stain to give it an aged look, added some new knobs and ta-da...a new big boy dresser...all for under $100.


It takes some time, but if there is a look your are wanting to achieve, you really can on a fraction of the cost of buying it completely new. 

Happy Re-Doing!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment