Saturday, July 7, 2012

Big Easy Shrimp Etoufee

This is a recipe I found out of Family Fun magazine one day when I was down visiting my Mom. I never knew I liked Cajun food until I made this! It is so easy, quick, and Delicious! I have made it several times, and it just keeps getting better!
I didn't have a picture of when I actually made it, so I had to settle for the one out of the magazine. :)

Ingredients:
1/2 tablespoon butter
1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
3 teaspoons minced garlic
1/4 cup flour
1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth *may need more
1 (14 1/2 ounce) can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne
1/4 teaspoon salt *may need more
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon oregano
6 drops hot sauce *I use Siracha but Tabasco would also work
1 pound peeled, deveined shrimp (uncooked)
2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley *optional, I've never used it
4 cups hot cooked rice, white or brown

-Serves 5-

1. In a large cast iron skillet (This is a MUST!), heat the butter and oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic and saute until they are soft and tender, about 8 minutes.
2. Stir in the flour until it is heated through, about 1 minute. Gradually pour in the broth in increments, stirring after each addition, until the mixture has thickened. Add the tomatoes, thyme, cayenne, salt, paprika, oregano, and hot sauce. Reduce the heat to medium, cover, and simmer the mixture for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in the shrimp and parsley and cook until the shrimp is no longer pink, about 3-5 minutes.
4. Serve over hot rice


I also like to serve mine with french bread sliced, buttered, and grilled in a cast iron skillet.

Enjoy!
Jessie

1 comment: